Monday, January 7, 2008

CES 2008

While CES may not exactly be game related, this year's CES is interesting because it is the last one before Bill Gates retires, which probably means that it will be the last Bill Gate Keynote. I have yet to decide if I want to risk the little that is left of my sanity and watch the keynote. I watched a Bill Gates keynote years ago so know how torturous they can be to watch. Not that all keynotes are boring, as Steve Jobs somehow manages to be very entertaining as long as you lock your credit cards away so you don't fall victim to his magical ability to make you buy products.

The weird thing is that CES actually has a lot of game coverage this year, including a game that makes me wish I had an XBox 360. What possible game could do this? Lode Runner! Sure, there were other game announcements but I still remember playing the game on my C64. The problem is that unless it is just a graphical overhaul of the 150 level original, the new mechanics will probably ruin the game, as is often the case with revamped classics. While it brings back nostalgic memories of the good old days of gaming, I think I will read the reviews – especially the ones by the younger generation of gamers who never heard of Lode Runner – before even thinking about this game. After all, I was quite disappointed with Battle Lode Runner on the Wii Virtual Console.

No comments: