Saturday, August 18, 2007

Paper Mario - Level Advancement

When you defeat an opponent that is at a higher level then you, you gain star coins. For every 100 coins you obtain, you gain a level. Whenever you gain a level, you are given the opportunity to increase one of your three properties. The game is fairly well balanced so the choice is almost always a difficult one as you could use all three. There is an upper limit on all of these properties. The upper limit is a bit lower than I would have liked, but I am one of those level up my character style of role-playing game player.

Note that opponent level information is not present in the game, so I am making an assumption about the way star coins are rewarded. I am assuming that all opponents are given a level and that experience is simply max(0, opponent_level - player_level). If I was coding this, I would have done this slightly different. I would probably make the coin counter go up to 1000 instead of 100 and have each opponent given an experience value based on the difficulty of that opponent. I would then reward experience using max(1, opponent_xp - player_level). This way, players would always gain at least 1 experience point for suffering through combat.

Party members only get leveled up when you find a special type of block in the world. These blocks will only work once and initially will only advance a character to super level. Once you reach Yoshi's Island, you will be given an object that will allow you to use those upgrade blocks to raise characters to ultra level.

No comments: