Wednesday, May 30, 2007

DRM Free

While this doesn't directly have anything to do with game development, Today Apple has officially started their DRM Free iTunes Plus service. I have never purchased anything from iTunes as I do not like restrictions on items that I have bought. Especially when the people who are stealing the item do not have those restrictions. My music is obtained by buying CDs and off of another legal music service called eMusic which has been DRM free for years. Of course, anybody who has used eMusic knows that it has only smaller labels, but the price is significantly less than iTunes. The downside to today's news is that not all the iTunes music is available on iTunes plus, so many of the big label bands that I would consider purchasing music from are not DRM free and in many cases are not good enough to warrant purchasing a whole CD, so they will get no money from me. Still, this is a really good start, and I will be purchasing some music from iTunes this week. Let's hope that this is the beginning of the end for the anti-consumer (pro piracy) DRM formats.

No comments: